Webinar - Supporting Transgender Students in Maine Schools
Navigating legal issues around transgender students is one of the most rapidly evolving issues in public schools today. This comprehensive webinar will explore the following topics:
- What the law requires
- How schools should support LGBT and transgender students, including bathroom access, safety, locker room access, and extracurricular activities
- Student records
- The role of parents, including handling disputes between parents and their children
- Privacy and confidentiality
- Addressing bullying and harassment of students based on their gender identity or expression
- School policy considerations
In this webinar, attorneys Melissa Hewey and Pete Felmly will discuss the rights of transgender youth and what schools need to do to ensure that they comply with the law and support transgender students.
Who should attend?
This program is designed primarily for Superintendents, principals, guidance counselors, social workers, nurses, athletic directors, coaches and other staff members involved in supporting LGBT students.