School Boards: Leadership in Difficult Times
This conference will review basic legal principles that apply to school board action. Dan, Elek and Michael will then focus closely on school board leadership during difficult times, particularly as they relate to very public employment disputes, Facebook controversies that impact the board, and public concerns that overtake regular business.
In a lively way, our presenters will address:
- Employment Issues: Discussion of Maine employment law as it applies to all employees, including administrators
- Collective Bargaining: Assessment of the role of the Board and the Superintendent in regards to bargaining and grievances
- Student Issues: What you need to know about residency, discipline, and the Constitutional rights of students
- Duties of School Boards and Superintendents: Respective roles and responsibilities
- Then, participants will engage in real life problems and be asked to develop strategies for solving those problems.