Maine School Business Officials 9th Annual Law Seminar
- Hot Topics in Health Insurance, including ACA Reporting Form update
We will cover recent changes in ACA reporting requirements, Medicare Secondary Payer issues, Cash in Lieu compliance matters and everything else School Finance Directors need to know about health insurance.
- New Laws Affecting Employee Leave
This segment will cover new and important changes to Maine’s employee leave laws, including a major expansion to Maine’s Family Medical Leave, COVID-19 sick pay, and more.
- Planning School Construction/Renovation and Financing
Our public finance lawyers will provide an overview of school construction and renovation projects, including:
- Available State programs for construction and renovation of schools;
- Project approvals required by voters and school board;
- Legal requirements for project procurement; and
- Funding sources.
- Review of Budget Approval Process
This session will present the basics of the school budget approval process, including:
- Overview of Essential Programs and Services and the ED 279;
- Scheduling of budget meeting and referendum;
- Review of budget meeting warrant articles; and
- How to approve school nutrition funds and reserve funds.
- Q&A Session (a.k.a Stump the Chump)
Our panel will devote two 10-15 minutes sessions to answer (if we can) any and all questions involving school business and the law. This is not limited to the seminar topics. We will pre-screen questions, but only to make sure that they are of general interest. You ask the questions, and we will do our best to answer!Who Should Attend? ✓ Business Managers ✓ Principals ✓ Superintendents ✓ Primary Benefits Professionals ✓ Anyone responsible for the business aspects of a school administration unit