Demystifying Employee Leave: The FMLA, the ADA and Employer Policies
This full-day program is designed for school employers who want to learn when and how to apply the FMLA, the ADA and their own policies to employee leave issues. This program will provide detailed overviews of the Maine and federal Family and Medical Leave Acts and the provisions of the ADA affecting leave and absences from work. We will also address difficult but common FMLA and ADA issues, how these laws intersect with employer policies and other types of leave, practical application of leave laws and policies, and how to develop processes around responding to leave requests in order to minimize risk and maximize employer flexibility. This program will include individual and group exercises as well as plenty of opportunities to ask questions.
Workshop topics will include:
- FMLA basics such as leave eligibility, designation, notice
- requirements and reinstatement
- Requests for leave as a reasonable accommodation and extensions of leave
- How to handle insufficient, incomplete or lack of documentation
- Intermittent leave
- Communication with employees on leave or requesting leave
- The intersection of FMLA with Maine and federal leave and discrimination laws, including workers’ compensation, the ADA, and the MHRA
- Best practices for responding to leave requests
- And more!
Who should attend?
This program is designed for business managers, assistant business managers, human resource professionals, and any payroll or administrative staff tasked with administering employee leaves.