Defining the Limits: Schools, Students, Staff, and the First Amendment
Students and school employees retain their First Amendment rights both on and off campus – but those rights aren’t unlimited. Schools have authority to restrict or discipline speech, but must be careful to ensure that they do not infringe on constitutional rights as they do so. Navigating this terrain can be difficult, especially in an era of widespread social media use and a surge in political activism. At this conference, we will provide school leaders with training and practical advice to define the limits of students’ and staff members’ right to free expression, and the school’s right to maintain order.
Topics to be covered include:
- Dealing with student political speech (demonstrations, bans, walkouts, pins, etc.)
- Responding to offensive employee speech
- Students’ rights, both on and off campus
- Social media and the changing landscape of what "speech" is
- The use of recording devices in the classroom