Collective Bargaining for School Board Members
DON’T MISS THIS HANDS-ON, ONE-DAY WORKSHOP to prepare superintendents, business managers and school board negotiators for the challenges of collective bargaining. You and your team will come away with practical guidance you can take to the bargaining table! The workshop is designed to cover every aspect of negotiations and includes the legal bargaining requirements; strategies for success at the bargaining table; tips on how to discourage bad behavior from the unions; practical training in the bargaining process; pragmatic approaches to negotiate difficult and contentious issues; and answers to your bargaining questions. Join Drummond Woodsum’s experienced labor negotiators in partnership with the MSMA, to learn the necessary skills to successfully negotiate with your organized staff.
Topics will include:
- Legal framework of collective bargaining in schools
- How to prepare for negotiations
- How to draft proposals and counter-proposals and assess their impact
- Costing out economic proposals
- Identifying good and bad contract language
- Understanding the subjects of bargaining – what you can and cannot legally bargain over
- Traditional and problem solving approaches to negotiations and an explanation of which might be right for you
- Hot topics, including discussion of the MEA’s statewide initiatives, examples of contract language around the state that have proven helpful to schools, and language that has proved troublesome and should be avoided.